In a few week’s I’ll be hosting an adult sushi party, and I thought that it would be neat to serve up some adult beverages along with the yummy sushi. Of course, tea will be a requirement of any party I host these days, and green tea seems obviously appropriate…
Then while wandering around on the Web, I found this Flickr image from the David’s Tea photo stream. It’s for a Matcha Martini, using matcha powder, agave syrup, water and vodka.
Well, I don’t have agave syrup at home, and when I make up my matcha frappes I usually add vanilla… so I made it up this way instead:
My Matcha Martini
- 1 tsp matcha powder (which ended up being too much – I could cut this by half)
- 4 tsp water
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sugar substitute (which I added in after tasting because I needed it sweeter)
- 2 oz chilled vanilla vodka (I’m guessing on the amount)
- mix the matcha and water together as if making matcha tea
- mix in the honey, sugar, and vodka
- shake with ice in a martini mixer, strain and pour into a martini glass
The result? Ok, I’m a lightweight and found it really strong (alcohol-wise), so I’d probably lighten it up with soda water (if I had any in the house that is), and as above, I would have cut the matcha in half. I store my vodka in the fridge, because I find it smooths it out a bit. I have no idea if this is the ‘right’ way to store vodka though!
It looks… well… like something you’d find on the edge of a pond – not so appetizing really to look at. Still, kind of neat to try! If you want to try another matcha martini recipe, check out this one from InCyst on the Best blog – this one uses white chocolate liqueur! If you’re looking for good matcha – I got mine from the Banff Tea Company.
If you try it, let me know what you think!